Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Birdie Bag and grandma time

I spent the weekend with my grandma a few weeks ago. We made a dress, a pair of boxers and a sling bag. She was generous enough to let me dig through her scrap stash and snag some buttons from her incredible collection after I realized in my moving fervor that I'd thrown all of mine in a bag of stuff to go to Goodwill back in Florida.



We traded stories, we watched her soaps, we discovered the wonders of electric scissors, we learned how to make gussets and stitched up a storm in the basement. My grandma is my handcrafting idol, and idol in general, really. Who else can make a purse out of an old ice cream container? My grandma can!
So fresh from my trip to Missouri, I dug out the sewing machine this week and put together my own sling bag.



I used some birdie fabric I found on my trip to San Francisco last year and one of her antique buttons. I even put in a couple of pockets inside. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that large, cavernous bags should always have a handy cell phone pocket near the top.

Happy Stitching!

No comments: